This Chinese Chicken and Broccoli is just as tasty and fresh as something you’d get from the Chinese. In fact, it’s pretty close to how the Chinese takeaway will make it – only minus the oil, sugar, and sesame oil!
Our Chinese Chicken and Broccoli is still packed with Chinese flavours and crunchy veg, and because it’s lower in calories and fat, you can enjoy it on Weight Watchers and similar diet plans guilt-free. Ideal for a fakeaway night or if you fancy something quick and easy: it’s on the table within half an hour !
- 2 chicken breasts diced
- 1 head broccoli cut into small florets and slice the stems or 1 pack of tenderstem broccoli.
- 6 spring onions chopped
- 1 onion sliced
- 2 carrots peeled and cut into strips
- 200 g button mushrooms quartered
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar or white wine vinegar with a little sweetener added
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 200 ml chicken stock made up using 1 stock cube and 1 stock pot
- 1/2 tsp fresh ginger minced
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- sea salt to taste
- low calorie cooking spray
- Heat up a wok or decent sized frying pan, and spray with low calorie cooking spray.
- Add the diced chicken, season and cook for 3-5 minutes until browned, remove from the pan and set aside.
- Spray with a bit more low calorie cooking spray, then add the onions, garlic, ginger and mushrooms.
- Stir and cook until they are browned and starting to soften.
- Add the carrots, spring onions and broccoli.
- Return the chicken to the pan, stir in the dark soy sauce, oyster sauce and rice vinegar.
- Pour in the stock, stir well and allow to simmer on a high heat, stirring occasionally until the sauce reduces and thickens slightly. it should take around 8-10 minutes to cook the vegetables and reduce the sauce.
- Check the chicken is cooked. Serve with an accompaniment of your choice!